Compassionate Family Law Attorney Who Protects Your Rights
An experienced family divorce lawyer helps you prepare for the future
You have enough to worry about; Kelly Family Law, LLC in Wellesley, Massachusetts can help you manage your family law matter.
Reputable law firm helps you navigate the divorce process
Choosing the right lawyer can often keep divorce from being harder than it has to be. For my clients, this starts with making sure they understand the following aspects:
- Filing — To be eligible to file for divorce in Massachusetts, you must have lived in the state for at least a year. You might also be eligible if the reason the marriage ended occurred in Massachusetts provided you and your spouse have lived in Massachusetts as a couple.
- Grounds — Divorce can be granted with or without a finding of fault in Massachusetts. No-fault divorces are the most common. At-fault divorces require evidence of one spouse’s wrongdoing. I can help you understand whether there are advantages to seeking one kind of divorce over another in your case.
- Division of property — Massachusetts law makes all property owned by either spouse or both at the time of divorce subject to equitable distribution, which means it must be divided fairly though not necessarily equally. Even if you and your spouse are able to agree on certain property divisions, an attorney can give you peace of mind about your decision.
- Alimony — The amount of alimony payments can vary based on a number of factors, and alimony can be short-term or long-term, depending on whether the recipient spouse has significant needs. It can get complicated, but an attorney can help you understand your options.
It's important to seek legal advice so your lawyer can start to develop a strategy to protect your interests. I also draft prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, which can help you clarify expectations before or during marriage. Timing is the only real difference between these two documents, as they both give you the opportunity to agree on what will happen financially if you end up divorcing and both can limit the costs of future litigation. An experienced attorney can help you fulfill the formal requirements that make such agreements enforceable.
Compassionate counsel for you and your children
Whether you were married to your child's other parent or not, you have legal rights regarding:
- Child custody and visitation — If no agreement can be reached, the court will decide on custody and visitation based on what the judge thinks is best for the child. A skilled attorney can make sure your concerns are heard.
- Child support — Child support arrangements can be determined by agreement or by the court and can also be modified later. When court-ordered, payments are primarily based on the income of each parent.
These matters can be difficult and emotional for any parent, but understanding the process can make it easier.
Contact a skilled Massachusetts family law attorney for a free consultation
Speak with Kelly Family Law LLC in Wellesley, Massachusetts about your family law matter today. Call 617-203-8500 or contact me online for a consultation.